Sunday, July 25, 2010

Stansbury Triathlon




US Trisports put on an awesome series of races this year, I was lucky enough to register for two of those. The fourth and final race was the Stansbury Tri held at Stansbury Park out by Tooele, just a short drive from Slat Lake City.
Arriving just as the Olympic men started their swim, I only had mere moments to set up my transition area and get back down to the boat dock. Thank the good lord of Triathlonism that I was prepared the night before. The swim distance always scares me at first when I see how far away that first turn around bouy is, but before long the fear fades; I just hope I am not the only one.
PowerTri of Lehi Utah was out in full force as the number one sponsor of the Stansbury Tri, they along with some awesome volunteers carried this race to an outstanding finish. This being my first year attempting anything competitive or race related for that matter; I have seen a lot of heart put into these Triathlon events. The athletes come out to have a good time as well as the spectators and with that mentality the final results are greatness.
Stansbury is a very fast and very flat course to race on with only minor inclines during the bike leg which were not enough to slow down the many seasoned athletes. A few dips in the road and some corners to speed through and before you know it you were coming up to the bike dismount area where it was time to hope those legs were ready for a run. Luckily the run was just as flat as the bike. The run leg lead us through the middle of the Stansbury subdivision that is surrounded by the lake, a mere 3 mile loop for the Sprinters and a second loop for the Olympic distances racers with a turn-around so close to the finish that you could just taste it.
All in all it was an awesome time by had by everyone who showed up. There were some beautiful bikes in the transition area; from the high end Cervelo's to the Quintana Roo , many Specialized and Trek as well. I will have to admit, I was disappointed to not see any Ellsworth Handcrafted Bikes anywhere; I will see what I can do about that little problem for the next race.
I was the only one from Team Aquaphor who was able to make this race but I am sure the whole heart of our team was with me. I was hoping they could of pushed me to a 1st place finish but I have been pretty consistent with 5th, so I am happy. I did get a personal best on the bike leg; as I said, it was a fast course.
So in closing I give major kudos to the fine folks at PowerTri and US Trisports, for having such awesome spirit and drive so those of us that love to race can have the locations and resources needed to compete.  We cannot forget the wonderful people of Stansbury for allowing us to have the race in their town.  

You can check out a few of the pictures from the Stansbury Tri as well as a few of my other Triathlons on FLICKR

See ya in Emmett Idaho at Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon.

1 comment: