Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Emmett, Idaho




I never really know what to expect at a new event. As I have said before this is only my first year.
Reading the Transition area directions over and over got me a little confused. Two different Transition areas? Are you serious? In the end I think it was pretty fun; not very fun setting up the transition. Since I did not have the time to make it to Emmett before the day of the race I had to show up early for packet pick-up which was at the Black Canyon Dam. This was also the same area as the Swim Leg, and the Bike Leg; but not the Run Leg, that was later. Packet Pick-up is done! Bike Transition is done! So we drive back down the mountain to the middle of down town Emmett and set up the Run Transition. I really should of brought two towel's. I will find out later I needed a second when I was rushing to put on my shoes and had nothing to wipe off my dogs with, and boy let me tell you they were barkin'. (My feet) Alas! Back up the mountain to the starting line.

Another first for me was the deep water start, not to mention the 1500 meter swim I was about to embark upon. We were treading water for 5 minutes before the gun went off. A good way to keep warmed up. Multiple swimmers were heading off-course due to the distance of the turn around buoys but I think in the end we all ended up doing pretty good. I was not as prepared as I should of been but training for the Bear Lake 70.3 that was supposed to be this next weekend (supposed to be, that is another story in itself) I thought I would see how far I could really swim. 41 minutes later; something like 22 minutes behind the leader, but everybody was that far behind the leader. That guy was Super-Fly fast.
So out of the water I came running, not really tired, and my legs felt great too. Me along with a large group of Sprint distance racers rushed to our bikes. Ya see, I was a little behind those who were prepared for 1500 meters.
A quick transition and on the bike and down the road I go. Thank the volunteers for all they did to stop traffic and not allowing the drivers to run anybody over. My choice of the Olympic distance course led me to a 40k bike ride that had its share of hills and straight aways together. It was both fast and challenging at the same time. A lot of athletes were signed on for this distance and as we hit the split mark on the course and the Sprinters went one way and the Olympics went another, it was time to get the led out and kick it in the butt. The new Specialized S-Works race slicks I bought from Bingham Cyclery were amazing on the course, I only wish I had an S-Works Transition to go along with them. I am looking for a bike sponsor. :)
For some reason my cycle computer was not reading my speed nor my distance traveled so I really only had my time to gauge my race on. I would also like to thank the AWESOME guys at The Triathlete's Edge for hooking me up with the sweet Lizard Skin Bar Tape. I installed it myself and it gave me great comfort and cut a little weight off the bike also. Thanks again guys. YOU ROCK!!!  Coming into the final Leg and Transition of the race was exciting. It appeared that the whole town of Emmett was awaiting us and cheering us on. Very sweet. Quickly off the bike and running through the Transition area trying to remember where I had set my shoes 5 hours previously was a challenge but I soon remembered and like a bolt of somewhat slow, somewhat fast lightning, I was off onto the run course; just me and my crappy shoes. Please K-Swiss help me out here, I am getting tired of blisters.
The Run Leg started off in the middle of town at the Emmett Farmers Market. Yes, we bought food. Really good corn and beans. We ran through the construction area and around all the orange cones and down the road to the Emmett sports complex and back down town. Now so far I have found that I can run and run and run with no problems and never feel like stopping, but when we have to make two consecutive laps and at the turn around point you can see the finish-line, well it really gets ya thinking of quitting since the finish-line is RIGHT THERE!!!! Oh well, so another lap it is. 51 minutes after strapping on my blister providers with the swoosh on the side I ran through the finish to find, well, nobody waiting for me. HAHAHA. My parents and little brother and sister were there but just not waiting for me. Sitting in the shade is where I had to go find them at, but my mother was soon to find me. Thank you mom, I love you. 

So with my first Olympic Distance Triathlon completed I now know what it is I need to work on for my next Olympic as well as my first 70.3 that is coming up very soon. Not as soon as before since the Bear Lake Classic was canceled, but still, there is always the Provo half 70.3 at the end of the month. It will give me a little more time to perfect my swim and get some better shoes.

The town of Emmett put on an awesome race. My visor off to them for that. In the beginning I was not sure about the whole two different Transition areas thing, but in the end, I liked it.

Two people I would like to mention in the Emmett Triathlon:
First is this guy named Kevin Everett. This guy finished the Olympic in 1:51:49 To me that is just amazing. I would love to see his training plan.
Next was a gentleman who's name I cannot seem to find but this old racer was 85 years old and this is his 9th year completing this race. Of course he finishes first in his age bracket and he looks real good doing it too. He had a good spirit and a big heart. Kudos to this guy.

Now I Can Foundation www.nowican.org

No comments:

Post a Comment